Hungry Students Get A Helping Hand

Kervenshild Holbach Sylvestre, Staff Writer

The Helpings Hands lounge in MAN 214 is ready to serve hungry students and others.

Open from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesdays, the lounge is a place where students can both grab some food to eat right away or bring some home to cook later.

Additionally, Helping Hands, which is coordinated by Student Basic Needs Director Dr. Charanne P. Smith, is a place where students can come in and relax or talk to someone about other needs and set up appointments for counseling services or connect with housing and other county support services.

Created by administrators, staff, faculty and other volunteers on campus and originally coordinated by ESL administrator Synde Kaufman, Helping Hands grew out of a desire to provide grab-and-go food to hungry students without the means to purchase food on campus. The lounge opened on Sept. 17, and donations of nonperishable food are accepted.

Smith, who was appointed director of Student Basic Needs on Nov. 1, said Helping Hands services are available at all Brookdale locations. However, among the challenges Helping Hands faces is that many students are not aware of the services. Smith said one of her goals is to promote the program and encourage students to come by. Various activities will be held on campus throughout the semester, she said.

Also, the Fulfill Mobile Food Pantry will come to campus 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Feb 18, March 24 and April 21. The truck will be located in the visitors’ parking lot near the administration and provide access to food pantry donations here at Brookdale. Each time the mobile pantry came during the fall semester, a line formed, and many students expressed tremendous gratitude for the food.

Students who would like additional information about Helping Hands can stop by the lounge or email Smith at [email protected].