Becky’s Bites: Big Ed’s BBQ Appetizers with All-You-Can-Eat Ribs

When it comes to us Brookdale students, we’re saving as much money as possible. We are on the search for good food with good quality. We want our money to be well spent. Our generation doesn’t like small and predictable foods; we like big flavor and big taste!

Every student wants free or endless food. Well, the search is all over. What’s one thing everyone loves? The answer is BBQ.

I had the best time pigging out at Big Ed’s BBQ at 305 Route 34 in Old Bridge. I went with a huge group of friends. I rate my food adventures with five criteria: service, decor, price, portion and taste.

First, let’s start with service, our waitress was Kieran. She was very patient and most importantly, hospitable. Our water glasses were always full, and she would regularly check up on us.

Now that we know the service is good, let’s talk about the decor. Big Ed’s is known for some very rustic decor. When you first pull up to the place, you’re instantaneously transported to a rural area.

The restaurant looks like an old fashion barn. Personally, I think the best part is their farm animals. There are giant cardboard animals with sayings on them all over the parking lot. They have pigs holding ribs and cows holding steaks. Once you walk into the restaurant you’ll be (metaphorically) struck by the fishing pools, licence plates, western posters and fish adorning the walls.

Everyone wants to know the prices. It is very reasonable for a college student. Big Ed’s is known for their ALL YOU CAN EAT RIBS AND BREAD. Only $20 for as many ribs as you can keep down. You have your choice of dry rub or sauce on your ribs. The most unique part about Big Ed’s is their prices. Dinner is more expensive, for example, a chicken platter can be $17.99. However, when it comes to lunch their prices drop to $12.99. Overall, your meal can range from $9.99 to $26.99.

The best part is the endless basket of garlic bread. As soon as you take a bite, in an instant your mouth is exposed to the flavorus pop of the butter. The garlic is so fresh that you’re transported to Italy in a pizzeria snacking on a flaky garlic knot. Personally, I’m not too fond of bread. However, this bread was crispy and amazingly flavorful. You can really tell that it’s Italian made. Once you’re done, you get to have a whole other basket of bread.

Let’s get down to the best part, the food options. The menu has so many options for appetizers including apple fritters, mozzarella sticks, barbecue hot wings and onion rings. I would have eaten them all if I had the space. Now, let’s talk BBQ options. Baby back dinner combos, starters combos, chicken platters, spare, St. Louis rib dinner combos, sandwiches and seafood platters. The variety available at Big Ed’s is a bonus to the indecisive, but hungry, college student.

Finally, what you have all been waiting for is the taste section. My ribs were cooked to perfection along with that great smoky taste. I ordered my BBQ sauce on the side so that I could use it as dip, but honestly I barely touched the sauce since the meat was tender and full of flavor already. Once you bite into the ribs, a burst of flavor tickles your taste buds. The flavors of sweet and juices spills out of your mouth. Making your mouth water even more for those delicious ribs. I would have plowed my way through another plate of ribs, but I had to tap out after just one plate!

Overall, this is a great place for barbecue. I would rate it 8/10. I will definitely be back for more. This is, unfortunately, not for vegans or vegetarians, but a place for the BBQ lover.

One tip I have for you is: I would suggest going during lunch if you’re planning a trip. The prices are lower, but the food stays the same. I hope you pig out and enjoy the porktastic taste of Big Ed’s BBQ.