Brookdale holds biannual Student Involvement Fair

Channa Schachet-Briskin, a graphic design major, spins for a prize

On Tuesday, Jan. 29, Brookdale held its biannual Student Involvement Fair in the Warner Student Life Center. More than 100 students packed into the Navesink Rooms to enjoy the event and learn about the clubs and organizations on campus.

This semester, the Involvement Fair included a variety of long-lasting clubs, and new ones, as well.

For example, Brookdale’s Phi Theta Kappa Chapter discussed their upcoming workshops and scholarship opportunities for its members.

The Computer Science Club had a display of “ozobots,” miniature robots that can be programmed to follow certain paths.

The Gamer’s Club even brought in a television and PlayStation 4 for students to play Super Smash Bros on.

The Film Club called upon Brookdale students to join, as they are looking for editors, actors, actresses and directors for their current film projects.

The newly-active organization, the Black Student Union, headed by president Janai Freer was also at the fair, endorsing some of their upcoming events and panels for the semester.

The Mixed Martial Arts Club, also newly active in the Brookdale Student Life scene, was at the fair, explaining that they wanted to help students with self-defense and exercise. They say that they aim to build a community around these activities.

Like every involvement fair, there were free food, drinks and entertainment. Brookdale’s Student Life and Activities Board served the ever-popular Playa Bowls, garnering a long line of students and faculty. There was also free popcorn, coffee and portable cups.

“We’re at the involvement fair because a lot of people don’t know what we do and what we can help students with in regard to transfer, scholarship opportunities. The involvement fair is a good place for them to have a conversation about it,” said PTK president Victoria Augello, a 20-year-old business major.