My Second Pandemic

Cecilia Alcantar, Staff Writer

Back in 2009 the swine flu AH1N1 was starting to create panic among Mexicans and because of that mass gatherings were getting canceled just like they are now with the COVID-19 global pandemic. Both pandemics have affected me not because I got sick or a family member did but because events that I was really excited about and meant a lot for me were canceled.

There is clearly no comparison between the effects of both viruses, but the social impact is similar.

Last year, I became a chapter officer of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (PTK). PTK has an annual regional and international convention where officers get rewarded because of the work we have done throughout the year. Sadly, and as a preventive measure, both events got canceled.

I was told by our chapter adviser that both conventions had a nice and elegant gala, and we would have to dress up for the awards. A couple of weeks ago, I went to buy dresses for the galas and now I cannot wear them. They are too elegant, and I rarely go to parties.

I started feeling angry and sad. I thought that the media was just exaggerating the situation, and I started saying and thinking horrible things that I now regret. This pandemic should not be taken lightly, and we must follow the recommendations that the government and the CDC are giving us.

In 2009, I was 11 years old about to graduate from elementary school; in Mexico, it is a big celebration. Students from other grades prepare for months to showcase typical and urban dances, students get recognized for their academic achievements, and the graduates get to have fancy dresses and suits. Imagine it as a prom-like attire but in elementary school.

Besides graduating, I and my 8-year-old brother were part of the top three honor students of our respective grades. This would be the second year the school would organize a special trip for all the honor students, but that got canceled.

This was the first and last year I would be able to go on this trip. We had both struggled too much to get to where we were learning the Spanish language and adapting to the Mexican lifestyle. An event in which we were going to be recognized had been canceled was something difficult to cope with.

I now realize that I tend to mask stress and anxiety with being mad and angry, but I can no longer do that. The pandemic is completely affecting everyone’s lifestyle. I am now old enough, and I realize that things are getting really bad. When you are 11, you are not aware of what is going on in the world or you just do not care.

Probably I am seeing things differently now not only because I am older but also because I lived the swine flu pandemic in Mexico and the current COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.

Please, take this seriously. Avoid going out. If you do not have to, wash your hands frequently, if soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer, do not touch your face, and if you can just stay home. Also do not panic shop, think about everyone else we are all going through this together.