The Star of Space Cadet

Patricia Mendoza, Staff Writer

Many students have a passion outside of the classroom. Some play music, others paint and draw. For 20-year-old women and gender studies major Erin McEvoy of Neptune City, combining her love for favorite music, art, and fashion design led her to create her very own brand titled ‘Space Cadet Clothing’.
In a time where waste produced from retail factories is rampant, McEvoy is adamant on only using secondhand material for her designs and practices sustainability whenever possible. Using recycled clothing to print Space Cadet’s signature rocket, sun, and moon designs have been the base of her business which began in December 2018. Her distinct prints, as well as vintage pieces found from a multitude of thrift shops, make this brand one of a kind.
“I make my clothing from completely pre-warn and pre-loved pieces, meaning everything is sustainable and bringing new life to old clothes. I also brand all of my clothes as unisex as an attempt to be inclusive of all genders and all sorts of people,” said McEvoy. “I see every single piece as a unique article of clothing and nothing exactly like it exists in the world. I think that’s pretty special.”
Space Cadet Clothing accommodates all shapes, sizes, and genders at low prices. The brand embraces individuality and mirror McEvoy’s passion as a feminist, with the most recent collection being the feminism collection as a nod to March being Women’s History Month.
McEvoy’s vibrant photoshoots promoting new collections always include her close friends and loved ones, making the brand personal and fun at the same time.
“When I was little I used to pretend to design all sorts of outfits. I always dressed as crazily as my parents would allow. I never thought it would lead to this though,” said McEvoy.
From being a kid with a bold taste for clothing to owning a brand with over 900 @space00cadetclothing Instagram followers, McEvoy’s one of a kind pieces reflect the special touch of eccentricity and flair she’s had since her childhood.
Those who know have shopped Space CadetClothing can always expect something unique in every piece, but McEvoy’s trademark combination of her psychedelic designs and colorful tie-dye prints are staples of the brand.
“My biggest fashion inspirations are David Bowie and Stevie Nicks, but I draw a lot of inspiration from the sixties and seventies as a whole, in not only my designs but my wardrobe as well,” said McEvoy.
After transforming her love of design from a hobby to a business McEvoy proudly holds the title of a businesswoman. However, there are always obstacles when it comes to the small business world, especially in the time of a pandemic.
“I’ve been making new pieces and selling them at much lower prices than usual as an attempt to be accommodating for my customers, as many of them may not even know when their next paycheck is coming in. That helps me too because selling a lot of pieces at low prices is better than selling nothing at all,” said McEvoy.
Prior to the pandemic, one difficulty McEvoy has as a businesswoman was balancing the position as a substitute paraprofessional at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, being the assistant manager at dessert spot Betty’s Ice Box, and being a fulltime student while creating clothing for Space Cadet.
“It definitely isn’t easy. I do really enjoy designing and making new t-shirts though, so I try my best to make time for it in the midst of all my online school work,” said McEvoy.
Although many enjoy the money and social media clout that comes from selling their own products, McEvoy’s main joy in being a businesswoman is to be humble and benevolent.