Travel to Peru and Earn Credits

Jeanette Falotico, Staff Writer

“As an English major, this trip fulfills a requirement for me; the English special project, which is an independent study course,” said Jackie Romano, a 23-year-old English major from Manalapan.
Join Professors Roseanna Alvarez, Elana Maloney, and fellow Brookdale students from Jan. 3 – 13, 2023 and travel to Peru. From Lima to Machu, Picchu, Brookdale is planning a cultural research and experiential learning trip to the land of the Inca.
“This short-term study abroad is perfect for students who want to see the world but who don’t want to stay for a whole semester. Peru is a magical place, and students will learn through experience,” said English Professor Elana Maloney.
The research trip to Peru offers students an opportunity to get off Zoom and out of the classroom, fulfilling several different curriculum requirements, while learning about issues relating to women’s studies.
“After attending the first information session and hearing about all the wonderful real-world experience it plans to expose participants to, I was hooked. Also, I very much looked at it with the mindset of will I look back at this in five years and wish I had gone? The answer was absolutely yes,” Romano said.
Students choose to focus their trip on a variety of activities and experiences. Participants will meet with local feminist activists, spend time at schools, weaving communities, farms, and archaeological sites.
You may elect to fulfill special project curriculum requirements in culinary, hospitality, Spanish, anthropology, sociology, literature, creative writing, education, fashion, women and gender studies, and many more.
“I’m gathering up my savings, getting a passport, and preparing for what I expect to be a great once in a lifetime, unbelievable experience,” Romano said.
For more information, students can join one of the following information sessions:
11:45 a.m. Feb. 24 in room MAN 104 or via Zoom, https://brookdalecc.zoom.us/j/91607089700
11:45 a.m. March 24 in room MAN 104 or via Zoom, https://brookdalecc.zoom.us/j/91607089700
Those interested in learning more can also contact Professors Alvarez or Maloney via e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected].