Fashion Lovers Will Be Stargazing May 5 in SLC

Sara Hosbach, Staff Writer

“The fashion show is an annual event for the Brookdale Fashion Club. It’s important to both the fashion staff and students that student work and talent are displayed to the public,” said 19-year-old fashion design major and resident of Malboro Ava Carol Ferrise.
“The show is called ‘Stargazing.’ The inspiration behind the show is zodiac signs and the celestial aesthetic.” Hosted by Brookdale’s Fashion Club, “Stargazing” will take place at noon May 5 in the Twin Lights Room, which can be found on the lower level of the Student Life Center.
“My friend needed a model, and I thought it would be cool. I’ve never modeled before, so this is a new and totally interesting experience!” said Emma Cardillo, a 19-year-old undecided major from Freehold.
Participating as a model, Cardillo will be wearing one of the designs created by a fashion student. “I’m looking forward to walking down a runway! How many people can say they’ve done that? I’m also excited to see what the other models are wearing. I know the fashion club and students have put a lot of time and effort into this program,” Cardillo said.
“My garments in the show are motivated by the question ‘what would the zodiacs wear?’ I like telling stories, and that’s what I feel I’m able to do by assigning specific looks to certain signs,” said Farrise, who has been working on designs for the show.
“Fashion students put on a fashion show every year. I found out about it from being in the fashion club. We would meet weekly to work on putting the show together,” said Catrina Kipnis, a 19-year-old fashion merchandising and design major from Ocean Township.
Students have been meeting as a group and with their models weekly to conduct the event and create the outfits.
“My stylist has been super flexible with my time. I sent her my measurements. We looked for thrifted dresses online and chose styles and pieces that we think look best together. When I first saw my outfit all together on me, it looked awesome!” Cardillo said.
Giving a glimpse into her design, Kipnis said that since “the show’s theme is astrology, I put my model in a red dress with silver stars all over it to stay true to the show’s theme.”
“I hope attendees understand the theme of the show, and I hope all of the outfits will portray the theme well,” Kipnis said.
“This event is truly so special to so many in the fashion club and classes, so I hope everyone who attends can appreciate the styles and outfits put together,” Cardillo said.
“I hope the attendees can see the talent that Brookdale fashion students have. I want all of our pieces to be memorable and have people look forward to what is going to be shown next year,” Ferrise said.