The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Students Carve Out A New Experience

Students Carve Out A New Experience

“I just stabbed it and kept going. Giant Eye and then an X… and then it got hungry. Can’t blame a pumpkin for getting hungry,” said Jared Barnard, an art major from Bradley Beach, describing his pumpkin-carving process. Barnard, 23, was one of more than 30 inspired artists who competed, knife in hand, Oct. 5 under a clear blue sky for Amazon gift cards and bragging rights at the annual competition.
“We have 25 carving pumpkins, 76 painting pumpkins, and the Higher Ed Centers also have pumpkins. This is a yearly event, a tradition you could say. A lot of our students come to paint and a lot of them are international students doing this for the first time,” said Student Life & Activities Director Lauren Brutsman at the start of the event held on the Student Life Center patio. Just an hour later, Brutsman announced the four winning pumpkins and explained how the student carvers could collect their prizes.
While Barnard’s pumpkin didn’t collect a ribbon, it did catch the eye of many admirers.
“It’s better to try new things than to not try at all. If you don’t do anything, it’s going to be boring,” said Jack Wixon, an 18-year-old history major from Howell.
Dane Willis, 18, a history major from Old Bridge, stood next to his pumpkin, which had the letters LGD cut out: “Let’s go Devils. They’re my favorite team.”
For two days leading up to the event, Student Life & Activities distributed pumpkins as part of the “Pumpkin Painting Take and Make” event to those who wanted to paint a pumpkin at home or who couldn’t participate in Thursday’s outside event.
“So far, it’s been a steady flow of students,” said ErinMarie Tierney, Assistant Director of Student Life & Activities. “If they can’t make the carving, at least they can do something before.”
At the Take and Make event, a table in the Student Life Center Room 101, was covered in small pumpkins, each about the size of a cantaloupe. A neighboring table had an assortment of acrylic paints which could be poured into three small containers.
“Every student is allowed three different colors to take with them,” Tierney explained, setting out containers typically used for condiments at fast-food restaurants. “The paint brushes are yours to take.”
“There’s always something new here,” said Brian Santos, an 18-year-old undecided major from Plainfield.”It’s worth it. It’s a different experience, painting a pumpkin.”