The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘We Believe We Are A Stronger Community When We Learn From And Understand Each Other’

The violence in the Middle East has left all of us traumatized and heartbroken, and that’s here at Brookdale, more than 5,700 miles away from the war.

No words can adequately describe the emotions and torment that the families who are in Israel and Gaza are going through. No one can imagine what it would be like to have your child murdered before your eyes or blood flowing through your streets while desperate mothers and children cry for help that does not come.

While we may be geographically distant from the massacre and resulting war. We, at Brookdale, should still pay our respect to those both here and abroad who are suffering in the dark times in which we live. We, at The Current wish to express our sympathies to all who are suffering, especially the members of our community who have lost loved ones or have family in harm’s way.

Brookdale Community College holds diversity as a core value. We must continue to promote a supportive and understanding environment for all students. Brookdale encourages respectful discourse and the examination of differing perspectives as we believe that we are a stronger community when we learn from and understand each other. Such dialogue is proving difficult on the national and international front. Let us all — students, faculty, staff and administrators — dedicate ourselves to ensuring Brookdale remains a place where such conversations can continue to educate and enlighten us.

For those deeply affected or troubled by the horrific images and realities currently filling our news feeds, please remember Brookdale offers support and resources for a variety of mental health needs. These include: The Brookdale Counselors’ homepage with contact information for licensed mental health professionals, trained to address issues through support, therapeutic interventions and referrals when necessary. Counselors can be found at https://www.brookdalecc.edu/mental-health-wellness-resources/counseling/counselors/
Brookdale also offers a consultation hotline at 732.224.2329.
Additional hotlines can be found at https://www.brookdalecc.edu/mental-health-wellness-resources/crisis-hotlines/
Also, Brookdale, through a partnership with the state of New Jersey, offers UWill, an online counseling service. This initiative provides students with access to free telehealth counseling and is available 24/7. Information about this program can be found at https://www.brookdalecc.edu/mental-health-wellness-resources/counseling/free-telehealth-counseling-through-uwill/
Additionally, there is National Youth Crisis Support: 1.800.448.4663; help finding a therapist at 1.800.THERAPIST; Talk Zone (peer counseling) at 1.800.475.TALK. And for those in crisis, 988 is a suicide and crisis lifeline.