The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘Nicki Minaj Has Once Again Created A Sensational Album’

Nicki Minaj is a household name for most Americans and Trinidadians alike. Her most recent album “Pink Friday 2,” a sequel to 2010’s “Pink Friday,” has taken the world by storm, particularly, the northeast region of the United States.
“Pink Friday 2” is Minaj’s first studio album since her release of the critically acclaimed “Queen” in 2018.
Her production and displayed rapping ability this time around clutches tightly to the tri-state area and its unique sound, as well as gathering inspiration from Atlanta, the rap-hotspot of the world. Several of the tracks were produced by Canadian legend Murda Beatz, while another handful were produced by Atlanta legend ATL Jacob. However, the most unique producer Minaj worked with was DJ Smallz 732.
To residents of North and Central Jersey, Smallz might be a name you’ve heard. He is notorious for his “Jersey club” style and has produced several extremely famous remixes to songs most people know.
Hailing from Asbury Park, Smallz has helped to pioneer this genre of music, while never selling out and always staying true to his craft.
As the Jersey club sound begins to take over the hip-hop world, with songs like “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert and “Bent” by Kyle Richh and Jenn Carter dominating charts last summer, it is no surprise that a legend like Nicki Minaj would go to a true New Jersey producer for a collaboration on her song “Everybody,” a remix to the well-known “Move Your Feet” by Junior Senior. The track quickly became the dominating song going into 2024, with a feature from Philly’s own Lil Uzi Vert.
“Pink Friday 2” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard top 200, making it Minaj’s third album to do so. She uses both her rapping and singing abilities to give the listeners a sense that she too is evolving with time, while also staying unique to the style that she created and perfected on albums like the first “Pink Friday.”
Minaj has had a plethora of heavy-hitter features on her albums of the past, and her most recent work is no exception. Features like J. Cole on “Let Me Calm Down,” Drake on the island-dance influenced “Needle,” and the “father of trap music” Future on “Nicki Hendrix” give the album more depth and diversity.
Like a lion flaunts its mane, Minaj flaunts her peacock-colored roots in the track “Forward” from Trini featuring famous dancehall musicians Skillibeng and Skeng, adding immense diversity to the 22-track album.
On the other side of the spectrum, the track titled “RNB” featuring Tate Kobang and rap legend Lil Wayne adds a harder hitting sound with elements of sing-rapping further developing the deep diversity of the “Pink Friday 2.”
One thing Nicki Minaj has never been afraid of doing is exemplifying female power and dominance of a male-dominated industry as a woman. Songs like “Barbie Dangerous” and “Pink Friday Girls” embrace her feminine side while still coming across as powerful and boss-like. Songs like “Cowgirl” featuring Lourdiz and the 2022 single “Super Freaky Girl” put forward a more provocative energy and perfectly round out the No. 1 album on the Billboard Hot 200.
A collection of vastly different songs still seems to come together very well, and producers from all walks of life greatly complement Minaj’s deep range of ability. “Pink Friday 2” features several well-known samples and is an easy listen for rap, R&B, pop and dancehall fans alike. Nicki Minaj has once again created a sensational album that will be referenced as a classic for years to come.