The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘Brookdalopoly’ Introduced Students To Clubs, Activities

Students entering the Navesink rooms on Jan. 30 not only found free games, prizes and giveaways, they were welcomed into a Monopoly-themed event called “Brookdalopoly” where they could learn about Brookdales many clubs and organizations.
Held during each fall and spring semester, the Involvement Fair featured tables lined along the room, each with a different club and decorations to showcase that group’s special interest and activities.
After walking under the large “Brookdalopoly” sign, students were greeted by a table filled with gifts and freeswag in various basins marked with different values. The objective was that for each student who interacted with a club by asking questions or showing interest to attend a meeting, the student would be awarded money. They would receive monopoly money to select their prize. The more money collected, the better the prize selection.
Clubs are a way to get involved on campus and a way to connect people with similar interests.
“We talk about our week and get to know each other and the values of their country, to feel comfortable a bit of home away from home,” said Amber Canrad, 24, an audio communications and media major who was recently elected president of the International Student Association. ISA meets 11:45 a.m. till 1 p.m. Tuesdays in MAN 205.
Conrad said she is looking forward to ISA’s annual International Festival, a collaboration with many other clubs on campus, which is free and open to all students.
Collaboration was a theme present in the event. The club members were interacting and playing games together before the room welcomed the attendees.
Physics club members said they hope to have at least one trip and plan to collaborate with other STEM clubs. The physics and astronomy club table was staffed by club president Colin Williams, a 19-year-old physics major from Lincroft, vice president Maryum Aamir, a 20-year-ol electrical engineering major from Woodbridge, and secretary John Gale, a 20-year-old physics major from Manalapan. Williams said, their club is “very unique,” and that student members “have lots of say about what happens.” The club meets noon till 1 p.m. every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month in MAS 117.
Students who attended had many chances to win prizes as well as opportunities to learn about clubs and perhaps join one or two.

View Comments (1)