The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Examining The Giants' Draft Pick
Joseph Basile, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
WILL Brings Assemblywoman To Campus
Chloe Sullivan, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

Students Asked To Dive Deep Into Civility And Sustainability

Brookdale students and staff are being asked to mark their calendars for Feb. 19 to 23 for “engaging conversations, illuminating panel discussions, and hands-on workshops” regarding civility and “the intricacies of sustainable practices” as the college holds its third annual Civility Week.
Each day during Civility Week, participants will be able to attend programs either virtually or in person to explore the theme, “Sustainability: Conversations and Considerations.” Organizers promise the programs will provide for “reflections that define, provoke and inspire our notions of sustainability.”
The program’s webpage states that activities are “aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainability Development Goals” to create an “impactful week-long event” that “delves into a variety of topics addressing economics, ecological justice, well-being among others (and) that address the urgent global and local challenges surrounding sustainability.”
Among the statement’s in Civility Week’s Community Agreement is that BCC students and staff “come together during Civility Week to enhance our understanding of, and learn more about, the meaning and importance of civility. We commit to honest, brave, respectful conversation, where participants are encouraged to speak openly, listen actively, embrace curiosity and gather wisdom.”
The week opens on Monday, Feb. 19, from 2 to 3 p.m., when Professor Laura McCullough will present “The Middle of the Ocean.” This talk in the Student Life Center’s Twin Lights II room, will consider, “What are the pressures on individuals, especially on young people? And what are some ways to ‘not drown’ by developing a sense of belonging, worthiness, purpose, hope?”
On Tuesday, Feb. 20, from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the SLC’s Twin Lights II, “Cultivating Personal Sustainability Through Mental Wellness” will be presented by The Wellness Center and Associate Professor Marlene Frank.
In the same room at 1:30 p.m. will be “Healthy and Sustainable Diets: Food Access and Behavior Change” presented by Dr. Rajkumari Wesley, Professor of Psychology and Faculty Coordinator, Global Citizenship Distinction Program. The program will include Global Citizenship Distinction Student Panelists: Eden Pela, Morena Traditi and Sergio Nino.
Wednesday’s program will be noon to 1 p.m. on Zoom and will be an “Ecology & Justice Project,” presented by The Office of Government Affairs and Community Relations.
To register, visit this link.
International Student Association members will present “Healthcare and Maternity Leave: International Students’ Perspectives” from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22, in the SLC’s Twin Lights I.
And at 2 p.m. members of the history department will explore, “How College U.S. History Courses Can Help Us Sustain American Democracy” in the same room.
The program concludes with a 1:30 p.m. discussion Friday on “The Different Meanings of Law, Morals and Justice: Accepting and
Understanding Each Other” presented by Professor Joseph Zavaglia over Zoom.