The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Free Tampons Available On Campus If You Know Where To Go

Inclusivity should mean availability to all. According to signs posted in some women’s restrooms and across campus, free menstrual pads and tampons are available on Brookdale’s campus. However, many students aren’t aware of this and have no idea how to find them.
“I haven’t seen any in the bathroom; I just came from there,” said Genesis Garcia, an 18-year, Freehold, business major.
“I assume people use them all up,” said Michelle Sanchez, a 21-year-old psychology major from Long Branch, when asked if she knew products were available. Sanchez said she would use packaged products if she knew where to find them.
Despite some signs about the program, the products are not freely and readily available in the most needed location, the women’s restroom. And for those who need them urgently this can be frustrating.
First, depending on which bathroom the menstruating person is in, they may or may not learn that the products are available. Not every restroom — not even every women’s restroom — has a sign about the products. What those in need might find instead is a black basket, leftover from Women in Learning and Leadership’s (WILL’s) and The Innovation Network’s (TIN’s) initiative to make sure menstrual products are available on campus. In some instances, they will find the free products right there in the basket. But these are generally only in LAH and being provided by WILL.
“Those baskets are holdovers from the original TIN and WILL initiative. Ultimately, what we came to fight for is inclusive access to menstrual products, and the College developed the designated locations to ensure that any student could access products (and not have to go into a bathroom to do so). This, to me, was key. Faculty and students often re-stock the baskets that were left in the bathrooms,” said Roseanne Alvarez, WILL coordinator.
Sometimes, there’s a sign listing places around campus where students can head for free pads and tampons. Some argue that the menstrual products should be kept in the bathrooms. “I just don’t understand why they aren’t in the bathrooms,” said Tara Deedmeyer, the front desk worker at the Bankier Library. “Students sometimes are embarrassed to ask and sometimes have trouble asking the male front desk workers.”
Students said they are appreciatve free products are available. “I was very impressed,” said Ash Kahan, an 18-year-old criminal justice major.
When taking a journey around the listed campus locations on the first day of the semester, three out of 12 places, the CVA first floor bathrooms, the ATC lounge and MAN 111 did not have menstrual products. In one location, the ATC lobby, neither the products nor an employee who knew anything about the program could be found. When the people in MAN 111 were asked about the availability of menstrual products in the office they referred us to the bathrooms nearby, which did have free products.

The TIN (The Innovation Network) and WILL (Women In Leadership & Learning) clubs began asking the college in 2020 to make more of these products available. At times, club members will volunteer their time to fill the black baskets with the college’s available, free products. Between such student initiatives, college administrators have said women will be able to learn about the free products and access them through a communications campaign that includes posting signs in restrooms.
Isabel Shaw, a journalism major from Morganville, helped lead the movement to get menstrual products on campus. Shaw has settled for the outcome of the movement. “We were told there would be central locations on campus where the products would be readily available at different times of the day/evening if students/staff need them, and there would be ample publicity about the policy. Also, the program would be a maintained commitment to demonstrate a good faith offer to show those needing the products that Brookdale cared. Although it wasn’t what we hoped for, the offer was better than going back to the way it was previously – which is nothing.”
Shaw said she is displeased with the way things were handled. “The current proposal has failed the students and staff who need these products. The distribution was done carelessly. There was little to no follow-up on how the initiative is working, or they would have seen that in the areas that do have products, they are inaccessible, often locked away, and not in view of the students who need them. The remaining locations do not even have them.”
According to the posters, at Lincroft menstrual products can be found in LAH 131, MAS 120, MAS 230, MAN 111, MAC 106, MAC 109, the Student Life Center information desk, the CVA gallery first floor bathroom, at the library information desk, Caroline Huber Wellness Center reception desk and the BAC first-floor restroom.
“Sanitary products are always kept in the office,” said Dean Jayne Edman of the Health Science Institute in MAS 120.
Edman noted for students “here late at night, the office isn’t open.” However, she said they are then available in the vending machines, currently at a cost of $1.75 for two tampons. “Some people have complained about the price,” Edman said.
At the regional locations, students can access these products at the front desks.
Clara’s Closet, in MAN 214, a thrift-shop-like store that provides students and community members with free clothes, also has tampons available by the front doorway.