The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Free Candy, Ice Cream, Flowers And Balloons Make Valentine’s Day Sweet

The day for Cupid, Valentine’s Day, or the day of love. For some it’s just Feb. 14, and for others, it’s a day of romance.
For lovers, you could see it in the air as students mingled at a special Valentine’s Day event hosted in the SLC by Student Life and Activities.
Students indulged in free treats and made funny picture memories for a photo op.
Red balloons, single wrapped roses, bags of candy, chocolate chip cookies, vanilla cupcakes, an ice cream truck and sweet drinks were all provided free this Valentine’s Day at Brookdale.
Candy, flowers, hearts, and for some, even popcorn. Valentine’s Day is a holiday for people to show affection toward a loved one, in any way big or small.
“I’m having dinner with my boyfriend and am going to watch a movie with him afterward,” said Grace Nappi, a 20-year-old psychology major from Hazlet. “Even though I have something to do, I’m really indifferent on Valentine’s Day and don’t really care about the day that much.”
For Riley Johnston, a 19-year-old undecided major from Howell, the romantic holiday is a perfect excuse to visit his medium-distance girlfriend, a freshman at the University of Delaware. “I’m going to drive down to U-Del to visit my girlfriend, Hana, after class and then we’re just going to spend some quality time together.”
But many others said their plans were less adventurous. “I’m just stuck here studying till six on Valentine’s Day, until I can leave and go celebrate at my grandmother’s house. It’s just another normal school day for me,” said Sophia Sabbio, a 19-year-old from Monroe.
“Valentine’s Day is not my thing, but I’ve been married 18 years so we hangout, do our thing… Definitely lots of love in the cafeteria with a DJ, balloons, and it’s loud with lots of people,” said Julia Petrillo, a 38-year-old radiology major from Barnegat.
Michelle Lisser, an 18-year-old political science major, was all smiles when she said she would be “binge watching shows and making cookies.”
For others, Valentine’s Day calls for some rest and relaxation with their significant other or the ones they love most. “Honestly my plans for Valentine’s Day, we’re probably just going to Bdubs(Buffalo Wild Wings) and putting on an absolute banger-of-a-movie like ‘Whiplash’ or something like that,” said Sean O’Donnell, a 19-year-old business major from Howell. “Usually what I do on Valentine’s Day is just chill with friends if I don’t have a date.”
Many students said the holiday was just another day.
“It’s just a regular Wednesday where I get to go to the gym and have homework to do when I get home. Get to have some quality alone time,” said Sam Pearlberg, a 19-year-old undecided major from Brielle.
“No plans. I will work. I have many jobs,” said Mikhail Bolotov, a 25-year-old engineering major from Englishtown.