The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Recreational-Use Marijuana Is Often Not About Getting High

The legalization of marijuana in New Jersey has impacted many lives, with the state now being home to 38 dispensaries. Most dispensaries offer both medical marijuana and recreational-use products. Thirteen are medical-use exclusive while one is recreational-use only.
But even many of those who purchase recreational-use cannabis products point to the medical and health benefits of weed.
“I used to have severe anxiety and trouble sleeping,” said Mike Wolfson. “Since I have started using edibles in low doses, I get a great night’s sleep.”
“I always use marijuana because the edibles help me sleep. Before using them, I would be up all night,” said Kyle Heaney.
Matt DiStefano said he takes edibles “to help my anxiety… I have always been a naturally anxious person, and this is the only thing that consistently works for me.”
A former Brookdale business major has had a similar experience. “I have severe anxiety, so marijuana is a natural way to help me with my problem,” said Joe Francesco. “I would take edibles over medication any day.”
According to a 2020 National Library of Medicine survey, the top two reasons adults seek out legal, recreational-use marijuana is for anxiety, 49 percent, and for insomnia, 47 percent.
“I don’t use marijuana often anymore, but I understand why people need to. It helps people who are injured deal with pain, and it allows people to battle anxiety and depression in a healthy way, so I think it’s a good thing,” said former Brookdale student Josh Coca.