The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Marijuana: 21+ Can Use It But They Can’t Grow It

Marijuana: 21+ Can Use It But They Cant Grow It

New Jersey is one of the few states that prohibits home cultivation of cannabis while permitting the sale and consumption of marijuana for recreational and medical use.
Medical marijuana patients and their caregivers are seeking legal protection to grow their own marijuana at home. Patients seeking specific strains to aid with their medical conditions, and they are not easily accessible compared to marijuana strains for recreational use.
Since marijuana has legalized in NJ three years ago, the state has only allowed corporations to grow and cultivate marijuana. This is leading to medical patients explaining that dispensaries that sell marijuana that cater to recreational uses, concerns are about inflating THC levels in dispensaries.
Since 2018, $2 billion has been made in sales from medical and recreational use. While home grown remains illegal N.J. users are paying the highest prices in the country for marijuana. one-eight costing between $40-60 dollars in dispensaries.
A closed and limited market helps keep the cost of marijuana soaring. Govenor Murphy has said he is open-minded about expanding the market and allowing users to grow cannabils. However, he has said he wants the industry to mature first.