The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Examining The Giants' Draft Pick
Joseph Basile, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
WILL Brings Assemblywoman To Campus
Chloe Sullivan, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Test Prep Season Arrives
Marlys Wenzel, Staff Writer • April 27, 2024

‘Legally Blonde The Musical’ Opens At The PAC

“Legally Blonde The Musical” opens at the Performing Arts Center Friday and will run for three weekends, so get ready to bend and snap.
“Legally Blonde” is about defying stereotypes, women empowerment and navigating scandals. The story centers around Elle Woods who becomes a lawyer to get back with her ex-boyfriend, as he leaves her to go to Harvard Law. The story starts with her following him to Harvard.
While there, she discovers her true potential and finds the ambition to prove herself to the world.
This production is filled with beautifully sung songs.
Janey Hornstein, 21, is the lead and plays Elle Woods. She has a beautiful and engaging voice. In fact, the entire cast is filled with great voices that come together beautifully.
Why should you see it? Many reasons. This play took 3 months of practicing and choreographing. Not to mention everyone in the play must remember each line they speak in order to do the musical. This play is a funny and moving piece with its jokes and message. Seeing this musical is a good way to escape from this crazy and sometimes dark world that we live in.
The director, Eric Petillo, chose the play to brighten sprits and with the current student body in mind. “It’s a fun show, and the world is a very sad place. We have a lot going on. We’ve had Covid, the two wars and a very contentious election. I think what people, as an audience, are craving is to sit down and forget about all that, make them laugh, sing, dance and cry.”
“Legally Blonde The Musical” is wonderfully put together, and its humor is plentiful. The play includes Brookdale students, all who have worked tirelessly on this production. As Hornstein describes it’s a juggle to produce the show. “Its live theater, and it takes a lot of work. A lot of people in the show are students and have jobs.” But as she describes, it’s all passion behind the scenes. “ We all love theater, and we aren’t necessarily here for the money. We do it because we love theater.”
“Legally Blonde” show runs for three weekends in the PAC. Performances are 8 p.m. April 5, 6, 12, 13, 19 and 20, and 2 p.m. April 7, 14 and 21. Tickets are $20. On April 7 tickets are $15 for 62+. For tickets or questions call 732-224-2411.