The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Examining The Giants' Draft Pick
Joseph Basile, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
WILL Brings Assemblywoman To Campus
Chloe Sullivan, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Test Prep Season Arrives
Marlys Wenzel, Staff Writer • April 27, 2024

Lincroft To See 88.7 Percent Eclipse At 3:25

Environmental science student Ava Burndley, 21, is heading up to Niagara Falls with her family for a good view of Monday’s “Great North American Eclipse.”
“It’ll be very exciting,” Burndley said. “For one, I’ve never been to Niagara Falls, and of course, it’s a historical event.”
Of course, Burndley isn’t the only student excited to catch a safe glimpse of Monday’s solar eclipse.
While some parts of the United States will witness a total eclipse where the moon will fully block the sun’s rays, according to NASA, the Lincroft area will experience 88.7 percent coverage at 3:25 p.m.
According to NASA, the event will begin on the Brookdale main campus around 2:10 p.m. and end by 4:36 p.m.
While some are traveling great distances to witness a total eclipse of the sun, others are joining local watch parties.
Sponsored by S.T.A.R. of Red Bank and the National Park Service, Sandy Hook is hosting a watch party in Parking Lot E from 2 to 4:30 p.m., according to information from the Hazlet Library. Telescopes, viewing glasses, and Junior Ranger materials will be provided and no reservation is needed.
Meanwhile, Bell Works at 101 Crawfords Corner Road, Holmdel, is holding a shorter party from 3 to 3:30 p.m.
While some students have made their plans long in advance, Bart Coopmans, a 19-year-old undeclared major, said last week that he “hadn’t really thought of it yet.”
Similarly, Christian Spencer, an 18-year-old undeclared major from Marlboro, noted last week that he wasn’t really giving the eclipse much thought. “But now that you’ve asked me, it actually sounds really interesting. Maybe I’ll try to watch a livestream of a location where the entire sun is covered.”
The National Weather Service is currently forecasting a pleasant day. Expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 61 degrees.