The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Examining The Giants' Draft Pick
Joseph Basile, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
WILL Brings Assemblywoman To Campus
Chloe Sullivan, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Test Prep Season Arrives
Marlys Wenzel, Staff Writer • April 27, 2024

International Student Chose BCC To Be Close To NY, Enjoys The Community Here

“When I went to the movies on my first day in America and a man who checked my ticket asked me how I was doing, I knew the people here would be different,” said Zoë Wigger, a 19-year-old international student from Germany.
In 2021, she wanted to do an exchange year and visit an American high school, but the COVID pandemic thwarted her plans.
Nevertheless, it has always been her big dream to live the American college life like it is portrayed in the movies. Because of all the movies, there are many clichés about America, and Wigger said she wanted to see if they matched reality.
“Some of the clichés that come straight to my mind are that everything is bigger, huge amounts of fast food, a great school spirit and the popular pupils do either football or cheerleading.”
When Wigger chose Brookdale Community College for an exchange semester, one of her main arguments was that New York City is nearby. Never did she think that she would actually like the college so much. “I like that everyone is very nice, and the teachers are dedicated.”
The good environment is one of the things she first noticed and really appreciates. Although, she spends lots of her time in the library, and she thinks that the variety of activities offered by Student Life & Activities is a very good opportunity to meet new people.
Wigger said there are still some differences between her school in Germany and Brookdale. She feels like there is a better connection between the students and the teachers in general.
She also thinks it is very awesome that you could just go the gym or the esports arena because there would never be such a thing in German schools.
“One thing that is still a bit weird to me is that you often have multiple choice tests as an exam. In Germany I always had to write long essays.”
One month before Wigger has to go back to Germany, she is quite sure about one thing. “Studying abroad is a very important milestone in my life, and I am glad that I took that step. I
think right now I am at the best age to travel around the world and get to know different cultures because you have almost no responsibilities.”
Nevertheless, when it comes to studying abroad there are some challenges as well. Wigger says that in the beginning she had some difficulties adapting to the culture. “I feel like it can
be difficult to build a deeper connection with someone because some people here are a little bit superficial. Although, they ask you how you are they do not really care about it.”
Another thing that really annoys her is the long distances and the fact that the water tastes and smells like chlorine.