Brookdale students not at risk of losing transfer credits

fter a lengthy process of self study and report writing, Brookdale learned the Middle States Commission on Higher Education declared the college at warning status last June.

“All full-time employees were notified in a broadcast email,” said Dr. David Stout, college president. “Then, on Sept 6, we made the news campuswide.”

Last month, when several media outlets reported the news with headlines, such as “Brookdale warned it could lose it accreditation,” many students and community members expressed concern.

“I am overusing ‘the situation is entirely in control.’ However, it is. Put your trust into Brookdale,” Stout said. “Students can contact my office if they have any questions or concerns.”

“When a school is given a warning, it means that the commission believes that the college has all of the tools that it needs in order to receive re-accreditation within a year,” he said.

“We have written letters to the editor to all of the newspapers that covered the story,” Stout said. “I have spoken with the freeholders of Monmouth County, the superintendents of Monmouth County, guidance counselor directors. I went on radio stations to get the word out and sent messages to employees and students in order to counteract what is being misinformed.”

The Middle States Commission consists of peer colleges and commissioners who gather to visit colleges around the Mid-Atlantic region and send reports to the commission. This process is held every eight years, and a total of seven representatives come from other colleges. Three actions Middle States can take following a visit include: issue a warning, place the college on probation or declare a college on showcase status.

When on probation, the college needs to supply information as soon as possible to keep the school accredited. When a school is declared showcase, the school must immediately give  Middle States additional information or lose its accreditation.

“Any student that is a student during the time of accreditation will still have their credits as transferrable because the student was there during accreditation,” Stout said. “As long as a person is registered in the school while it is accredited, they will still have financial aid.”

According to Middle States, there are seven standards that every school must adhere to. The two standards that Brookdale received warnings on are Educational Effectiveness Assessment and Ethics and Integrity.

In response to the warning and acting upon recommendations from Middle States, Brookdale has taken several actions, including adding the mission statement in buildings around campus, Stout said.

Also, Stout said the academic advising model had been changed since the last Middle States report and the commission is seeking statistics on the effectiveness of that initiative.

In order to earn re-accreditation, several teams of employees are gathering to provide statistics for how effective the new academic advising model is, the president said.

Additionally, employees will have an opportunity to complete climate surveys. The surveys will be used to ensure employees feel welcomed and valued, and that diversity remains a BCC core value.

Brookdale is also reviewing institutional values. The college community is reviewing values toward students, learning and integrity to see if the stated values need to be updated.

Also, Stout said, the college is adding a policy to deal with issues such as the viral video last year of a professor and student. The college will have a written policy to dictate proper handling of such situations.

Brookdale will deliver its response to the warning in a report due in March. Then, Middle States representatives will visit the college in April to read updated documents. By mid-May or early-June, the college will know where it stands.

Stout said he fully expects the college to be re-accredited next spring.

opposition to the Northeast Supply Enhancement Project (NESE)