Why Classes Were Cancelled Monday

Staff Report

The following is a message President David Stout sent to staff as “a debrief regarding the ‘shelter in place’ that was ordered today, October 14, 2019.”
At 1:50 this afternoon, we received information from Tinton Falls Police Department that they were looking for an armed suspect near our main campus in Lincroft.  Due to the proximity of the incident to our Lincroft campus, we immediately sent a RAVE text message for students and employees to shelter in place.  Since there was no direct threat to the College and the incident involved a police operation near campus, “shelter in place” was communicated rather than “lockdown” which would have indicated a direct threat to campus safety.
At 3:25 this afternoon, without knowing when the situation would be resolved, we decided to tell students that classes in Lincroft were cancelled for the rest of the day.  Employees were notified to remain sheltered in place because the subject was not yet apprehended.  At 5:07, we were informed that the suspect was contained several miles away from campus and we informed employees that they may leave campus at the end of their work day.
Per the Asbury Park Press article linked here, the suspect was arrested in Freehold around 5:30pm tonight:  https://www.app.com/story/news/local/emergencies/2019/10/14/freehold-police-investigation-swat-team/3979656002/
Thank you all for your cooperation.  There is nothing more important than the safety of our students and colleagues.
David Stout, Ph.D.