The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Stressful Game Of The Century Turned Into Overtime Victory

And so, February is the perfect month for fans to watch football. The annual Super Bowl took place on Sunday in beautiful Las Vegas. The league celebrated almost 58 years of this worldwide championship in the NFL. But this was truly special from the beginning to the very end.
The Kansas City Chiefs can now truly be called a dynasty after beating the San Francisco 49ers in a rematch with the game score of 22 – 25 in an overtime victory.
The refrain, “This is the greatest Super Bowl match I have ever watched,” could be heard everywhere as the tied game moved into a fifth quarter.
This game was fierce and defense-heavy for both teams. Both teams came all this way after a long postseason and regular season.
Coming into the game, Kansas City was said to be the underdogs. The San Francisco 49ers had the better team and certainly the highest advantage of winning. However, this was personal for the defending Super Bowl Champion Chiefs who wanted their second straight Super Bowl win.
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes got the ball back with less than two minutes to play in regulation and promptly drove for a Harrison Butker field goal to force overtime.
And though the 49ers scored first on a short field goal after a long drive, Mahomes countered with a winning touchdown drive that secured another Lombardi Trophy for the Chiefs.
Therefore, with relentless defense and opportune plays by their star quarterback — including a pair of gutsy overtime scrambles — the Chiefs won their third Super Bowl in five years in a stunning overtime victory against the San Francisco 49ers in only the second overtime game in Super Bowl history.
However, dynasties don’t last forever, but for now there is a Chiefs Kingdom, and Kansas City fans are celebrating.