The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Brookdale Readies For MLB Spring Training

Baseball lovers know spring training season has arrived. The first game begins at 3:10 p.m. Feb. 22 and features the Dodgers and the Padres.
With these practice games, players are able to get in shape and loosen up before opening day. Younger players can broadcast their talent to hopefully earn a spot on the roster.
However, this allows the possibility of preseason injuries, which could affect a player’s season.
“I used to play myself, so I know if you don’t warm up enough, you’re more injury prone,” said Jacob Whitlock, an 18-year-old business student from Middletown, discussing the purpose for a training season.
“I think it’s good for players to have spring training games, so they can practice before the season begins. I remember my arm being sore without throwing enough, and it’s probably worse for professionals,” Whitlock said.
Joe Mazz, a 19-year-old education major, agrees. “I’d say spring training could definitely cause some injuries, but anyone can get injured during the season, too. It’s better to be warm than stiff. You have a better shot at preventing anything bad.”
“Some of my favorite players have had season-ending injuries, and I don’t want to go through another year witnessing that,” said Andrew Gonzalez, a 20-year-old marketing student. “I think spring training will help prevent that as long as they don’t overdo it.”
With little left to do before the spring training umpires call out, “Play ball,” baseball enthusiasts can follow the action in the Cactus and Grapefruit leagues by heading to mlb.com.