Auditions Jan. 20 For Elvis-Infused Musical

Isabel Shaw, Staff Writer

Those who have wanted to swivel their hips on stage like Elvis, and other singers and thespians, may want to head to Brookdale’s Performing Arts Center between 7 and 9 p.m. tomorrow Jan. 20 when auditions will be held for the upcoming spring performances of the musical “All Shook Up.”
Auditioners must be 18 or older and prepare 32 bars of a song in their voice range that matches the style of the show. They should also bring sheet music for the accompanist, who will be provided.
Thos auditioning should also wear comfortable clothes that allow them to move freely and bring a headshot and resume if possible.
Successful participants will be notified at the time of their audition if they have been chosen for a call-back, to be held beginning at 7 p.m. Jan. 21. Performances will be begin April 8 and end April 24.
Based on a book written by Joe Dipietro and featuring the music of Elvis, the musical was first performed at Broadway’s Palace Theatre in 2005. The successful musical closed its doors six months later, and updated theatre performances of the family-friendly show continue to both entertain and resonate with audiences across the country.
Loosely based on Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night,” the action takes place in a small Midwestern town in the 1950s. The conservative and controlling mayor places many restrictions on the residents, and once Chad, a good-looking motorcycle-riding free spirit rides into town, chaos and conflict follows.
Chad travels with a guitar on his back, blue suede shoes on his feet and an abundance of songs to share. Suddenly, the town begins to come alive, and Chad’s influence and music will change the town forever.
Over the course of the play, the townspeople realize the unjustness of segregation, among other small-town issues. Taking place over the course of one zany night, “All Shook Up” is a rocking, uplifting saga about following dreams, welcoming change, opening up to love, and finding a new and better way forward.
The Performing Arts Center is located on the Lincroft campus of Brookdale Community College. Auditioners should park in lot 2. For more information, email [email protected]