BCC Resources Beyond The Classroom: Bankier Library

Isabel Shaw and Giulia Campora, Staff Writers

Library resources are a lifesaver for Brookdale students in times of need. The Bankier Library has been a source of fulfilling information for Brookdale students since its opening in March of 1997.
The library added important resources when they opened the Information Commons in September 1999, two years after its opening. Library resources have been progressing along with Brookdale students’ needs and the school’s budget. As the college’s enrollment increased, the Board of Trustees provided more resources to help Brookdale students study with better flow and flexibility.
The Bankier Library has a variety of resources available to students. One of them is the Information Commons. Based on the first floor of the library, it includes a few of the many resources they offer to students. First, there is the help desk. According to the Brookdale website, “The Help Desk staff includes librarians, technicians and support staff, to serve students’ information needs across all formats and curricula.”
The library will also loan laptops to students who can’t afford to purchase one. According to the Bankier Library, “Loan Period is four (4) hours. Return the equipment to the 2nd floor Circulation Desk at the end of the loan period or one hour before closing.” The procedure is seen on the Bankier Library section of the Brookdale website, and it says the following: “Present your current college ID card at the 2nd floor Circulation Desk; Verify that the equipment is in good working order; Sign the Laptop/iPad Loan Agreement; Use your Brookdale email name and password for access to the wireless network; Check the battery level while you are using the laptop; If the computer shuts down or reboots, all files and data are erased, so save your work to your USB portable storage device or attach your work to an email.”