BCC Resources Beyond The Classroom: Tutoring Center

Isabel Shaw and Giulia Campora, Staff Writers

Resources at Brookdale have expanded for students, helping them study more effectively and earn their dream degree. The Tutoring Center at the Bankier Library can be a lifesaver for students. Anyone who has taken a math or physics class at Brookdale knows how difficult those subjects are.
According to the Brookdale website, the Tutoring Center’s goal is that “students can get help developing effective study skills and working on their coursework and assignments.” Frank DeVita, one of the assistant tutors, has stated that, “We specialize primarily in the social sciences and business subjects.” The Tutoring Center also offers tutoring for other subjects like history, economy, business, etc.
Tutoring is free for all Brookdale students. This resource is life-changing to students who may be falling behind, and then discover they can get help with challenging classes. Tutoring helps students experience less stress and, ultimately, helps them to be successful.
Helen-Anne Johnson, one of the full-time assistant tutors, has stated “We visit the classrooms every semester in the beginning of the term to introduce ourselves and let the students know we are available and what we do here,” and that encourages students to feel comfortable about getting the help they need to pass the class. “The atmosphere of the library makes students more likely to come ask us for help. With its beautiful surroundings, it’s a comfortable environment,” said Karen Sieben, an assistant tutor.
Brookdale’s tutoring center in the Bankier Library has helped many students come out of their shells and ask for help. One example is student Ambra Valeriano, a fashion design major, who had trouble with her math class this spring semester: “I really was afraid to go there because I rarely ask for help. But math class has been hitting hard lately and it has changed my grades completely.”
Students can access the tutoring schedule here: https://www.brookdalecc.edu/academic-tutoring/ (Links to an external site.).
Students can also schedule a tutoring appointment by calling 732-224-2999 or emailing [email protected].