Study-Away Trip Will Take Upclose Look at U.S.-Mexico Border

Chris Valentin, Staff Writer

“Walking the Line: The Reality of Life on the Borderlands” is an upcoming 2023 study-away program available through Brookdale. This program is in collaboration with BorderLinks and focuses on Mexican immigrants’ experiences at the U.S.-Mexico border in Tucson, Arizona.
“Rather than reading in headlines about what life is like at the U.S.-Mexico border, join us as we take a desert walk along the border and meet the people who live there and have traveled there,” said history Professor Ashley Zampogna-Krug. Students will trek the borderlands, meeting migrants and learning about their experiences.
Tania Garcia, program organizer of BorderLinks, spoke about the nonprofit organization during a Dec. 9 info session on Zoom. She shared a sample itinerary of what the first day in the program will look like for students. This itinerary includes a lunch, orientation, a chance to settle into dorms and a workshop which is followed by dinner.
Garcia also shared another itinerary showing what other days in the program would look like, which includes a walk along the border and discussions with community organizations. Depending on the students who sign up, the group may travel into Mexico during the program.
The course dates for the program are May 15 to June 25, and the trip takes place from May 30 to June 6. There are four courses offered for this trip, Journalism 101, Journalism 201 and English 122, which are taught by Professor Deborah Mura, and History 137, taught by Dr. Zampogna-Krug.
The program will cost an estimated $2,250 dollars. This cost includes airfare, meals, lodging and the activities with BorderLinks. It does not include tuition/fees or personal expenses.
Students who opt in to this program will be living in dorms and most likely sharing with another person. Bathrooms will also be shared.
For more information about the program, students can visit the links below.
https://www.brookdalecc.edu/international/study-abroad/faculty-led-short-term/study-away-arizona/
https://www.borderlinks.org/