Current Event Gives Staff Needed Feedback

Joe McNally, Staff Writer

The Current held “Dive into The Current” in Navesink III today (Tuesday) at 11:30 a.m. to gather some ideas of what students would like to see from the student newspaper.

There was a larger-than-expected turnout, as many Brookdale students stopped by for free food, games, raffles and prizes.The first game played was a quiz on the website “Quizizz.com.” The winner was Gianna Vega, a 20-year-old liberal studies major from Eatontown, who won a Starbucks gift card. “I love the prize; Starbucks is my favorite place to go get coffee,” Vega said.

When asked what can be improved on The Current, Vega said, “There should be more interactions with the students via videos on the website.” Current Editor Phillip Cozzi, a 25-year-old journalism major from Manalapan who hosted the event, said he was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.

“I thought five people were going to show up,” Cozzi said, of the program that drew more than 50 people. “It looks like we got more Instagram followers, and people are more aware of The Current.”

Elizabeth Lubrano, an 18-year-old, media studies major from Freehold won multiple prizes. She won a Target gift card, a wallet, and a water bottle. “I feel great. I love Target, and I’m excited to use this,” Lubrano said.

Lubrano said she hopes that there will be some changes to The Current as well as, “more pop culture stories to encourage more students to read.”

Students from the public relations class planned and created the event to raise awareness of the student publication. “I think it’s a good idea that students should be involved in the paper. It’s good to get engaged,” said PR student Kasic Jacobs, a 20-year-old journalism major from Neptune. “I thought it would be fun for students to have their voice heard.”

Organizers said they felt “Dive Into The Current” was a success. Everyone who attended got free pizza. Some won prizes, and The Current staff got input from Brookdale students and hope to make some changes.

Anyone with feedback for The Current or newstips is encouraged to send an email to [email protected] or [email protected].