The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

How Did I Not Know That?

MMA At Brookdale

Welcome to the first installment of How did I not know that?

I was at a meeting of “The Current” a while back, and I learned there was a rock concert – given by Brookdale students  – that night. I went and it was terrific.  And a fashion show the next night, and a new art exhibit the next day.

How did I not know that? was born. I decided to learn about other opportunities outside my major, outside the familiar and share it every two weeks in “The Current” (or wherever else it can be published!)  in hopes that more students will take advantage of the incredible opportunities at Brookdale.

If you have any suggestions for future explorations, let me know: [email protected]

So, let’s start with, What is Mixed Martial Arts?

Officially, it is a combination of different martial and defensive arts – judo, karate, boxing and even wrestling. The class I took was a hands-on, self-defense class created for WILL (Women in Learning and Leadership). The class, led by MMA Club President Taylor Papera, 20, a liberal arts major from Sea Bright, showed the students practical ways to stay safe, including strategic moves to escape and run from an attempted assault and how to defend oneself if an assault occurs.

“In the past there were misconceptions about MMA, and students were intimidated or even afraid to join,” said College Relations Graphic Artist/Design Coordinator and MMA Club Adviser Anthony LaGaipa.  “But now, students are more open and willing to try new things.”

LaGaipa also noted that the original Brookdale Karate Club was primarily male, but this club now has 50-50, male-to-female ratio and sometimes even 60-40 female, reflecting the desire of today’s students to learn how to defend themselves.

So what is an MMA class like? In a word: FUN!

The group spends the first half hour warming up – jump rope, pushups, crunches, etc. Fitness levels and ages vary among the participants. Music accompanied the warmups, and everyone seemed to enjoy moving to whatever degree they were comfortable or able.

LaGaipa explained that after warmups, the group moves on to skill training. “A few meetings ago they learned how to punch correctly. Tonight, we’re going to focus on kicks, so different techniques and different methods are explored each week. Sometimes there’s more ground activity, and we pull out the mats and show how to fall correctly.”

Each participant, regardless of skill level, receives individual attention. Papera teaches and starts the movement sequence, and then LaGaipa continues to lead the class. Papera skillfully moves around the room, helping each participant perfect their  form. These two really want the students to get it right.

“My main goal with restarting the MMA club was to create a great group of people who share a love for martial arts, and I think we have started doing exactly that,” Papera said.

The MMA style the club teaches includes many techniques, all rooted in martial arts,  self-defense, agility, strength and skills learned through repetition. Some of the students with more experience in their particular martial art will occasionally lead a class.

The club normally meets in the Fitness Center Yoga Studio on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and on Friday from  4 to 6 p.m. They are currently meeting in the Collins Arena while repairs and updates are completed to the Fitness Center. They hope to return to the Fitness Center in a week or two.

Attendance at every meeting is desirable but not compulsory, and LaGaipa said sometimes students, if they’re tired or injured, will just hang out and chat with other students and observe the class.

LaGaipa has an almost  lifelong interest in fitness and martial arts, starting with boxing as an adolescent and then later studying tae kwon do. His early fascination started with Bruce Lee, and he continues to learn from various masters and practices on a daily basis.

When asked what he hopes students take away from this club he said, “Confidence, some kind of ability to defend themselves, and a level of physical fitness they didn’t have before.”

“Of course, the club is also a great avenue to make new friends, have fun, move around, and learn a new skill,” he said

At this year’s Gold Stars Awards, the Mixed Martial Arts Club won the Gold Star for going ‘Above and Beyond,’ and La Gaipa also won the Gold Star for Best Club Adviser for 2023.

All students are welcome to join or observe a class. For more information:

Anthony LaGaipa, MMA Club Advisor

[email protected]

732-977-1337

View Comments (3)