The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Clara’s Closet Dresses Souls For Free

Claras Closet Dresses Souls For Free

I recently went to Clara’s Closet because I needed a coat after I came to campus by bus-train-bus only with a T-shirt and a light jacket. That day it was below 30 degrees. My colleagues were very worried and told me to go there and look for something.
After a long, cold trip, I did not expect to find an amazing coat that I now wear every week.
Many people from the Brookdale community are not aware of this place, its mission and purpose. Located on the Lincroft campus in MAN 214, it is part of the Lunch Break organization, which describes this mission as “a compassionate, community-driven effort dedicated to collecting, sorting and sharing gently worn clothing with individuals who need it most.”
Clara’s Closet is not only a free store but a place that values humanity and the needs of each person. Directed to people who need clothes, and also, people who look for a more empathetic community, whether donating or volunteering.
Patty Gallagher, a volunteer for Clara’s Closet, gave me a short interview where we covered details of Clara’s Closet at Brookdale:

Why Brookdale?

“I think they [LunchBreak] were looking to reach a different audience. So, in Red Bank is more family-oriented, and here, it’s more for young adults.”
Is it sustainable?
“Brookdale gives us this space for free. So, there is not really a lot of cost involved for us. It’s just about getting the clothes and sorting them.”
Considering the consumerist nature of our society; if they are willing to give up some of their clothes to people who may give it a better use, wonderful missions like this will stay alive. Everyone can
donate clothes to Clara’s Closet.
What are the requirements to get clothes?
“There is no income requirement or student requirement. Anybody who comes in can get up to 10 items.” So, even people who do not have any relationship with Brookdale can get some nice clothes.
How do you volunteer?
“Anyone can volunteer. You just go on their website, which is LunchBreak.org, and fill out
a volunteering form.”
As stated on the Brookdale webpage, “Lunch Break and Brookdale have partnered to provide help, hope, and lead those they serve to self-sufficiency and healthier lifestyles.”
Help and hope are at the core of amazing projects like this. Without help and kindness, hope is lost.
Clara’s Closet is named in memory of Clara Marie Nelson, a twenty-year volunteer who was the first clothing coordinator. Brookdale’s partnership with Clara’s Closet inspires and lets people know that they are not alone in this community.
Gallagher said, “People are very appreciative of these services here.”
This is an appreciation that encourages more people to support.
Although Clara’s Closet at Brookdale is the most convenient option for students, it is not the only location. “This is great, but we have a space in Red Bank that is about four times this size. So, I encourage people to visit that as well,” mentioned Gallagher.
Locations and Times
Clara’s Closet Clothing in Red Bank
121 Drs. James Parker Boulevard, Red Bank, NJ
Shopping Hours:
Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Wednesdays
10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturdays
9 a.m. – noon
Clara’s Closet Clothing at Brookdale Community College
765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ
MAN 214, Lincroft
Shopping Hours:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Wednesdays
10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Volunteer
https://lunchbreak.org/volunteer/