The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

‘How Can We Move Our Conversations In The Direction Of Civility And Hope?’

Civility Week Focuses On Sustainability

“What does civility look like in the context of the climate crisis and the need for consensus should we find ourselves at the brink of planetary collapse?” asks Dr. Ave Latte, who is chair of Brookdale’s Civility Week, which starts Monday, Oct. 9.
“Socially, we must consider how to discuss the concept of sustainability with others who may not believe that current societal practices are threatening present and future generations,” Latte, an education professor, said.
Civility Week, which started at Brookdale in the fall of 2021, is always an eye opener into society, and this semester’s Civility Week promises some interesting discussions about sustainability. Speakers include Dr. Harry L. Allen, an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) scientist, and Justis Lopez, a DJ, author and co-founder of Project Happyvism, as Brookdale spends a week discussing civility, sustainability and how it relates to our Earth, health and social life.
“The Civility Week theme this year engages our community, college-wide audiences and presenters to join together in conversations that reveal the complexities of sustainability,” Latte said.
“What can reflection on the practices of sustainability hold for our human and non-human futures, and how can we move our conversations in the direction of civility and hope?”
Civility Week starts off 11 a.m. Monday, Oct. 9, with a discussion on “A Sustainable and Resilient Earth” led by Allen from the EPA in Twin Lights room one, in the Student Life Center (SLC) room 106. Allen, who has over 30 years of experience working on oil spills and hazardous waste cleanups as well as responding to other environmental emergencies, will explain the imperative for a Design Development Model for Sustainability.
At 2 p.m. Monday on Zoom, Lopez will be speaking about supporting educators and students, and spreading joy throughout Black and Brown communities and beyond.
At noon on Tuesday in SLC103, nursing professors Caitlin Raiten and Jessica Domb will present a lecture on “Sustainability as it relates to human health and lifespan, a discussion of the Blue Zones.” They will discuss Blue Zones, areas where people are living longer and have a better quality of life at an older age.
Later Tuesday, at 1:30 p.m. in the Monmouth Battleground Room, SLC 103, there will be a discussion and lecture called “Sustainability a 360° Analysis” presented by Dr. Rajkumari Wesley and Global Citizenship Distinction Program students Kenneth Grant, Eden Pela, Jean Guerdy Paul and Morena Traditi. The talk will focus on different global perspectives and models of sustainability.
At noon Wednesday, Professor Laura McCullough will present “The Myth of Independence: How to Sustain Relationships in the Age of Anxiety” in Twin Lights room 1, SLC 106. The lecture will discuss how to deepen relationships with friends and family and how to recognize pressures and myths that effect relationships.
At noon Thursday on Zoom, Heather Clarke will present “Neurodivergent Students and Universal Design For Learning.”
At 10 a.m. Friday on Zoom, closing keynote speaker, Andy Gold, vice president of Strategic Engagement for NACCE, will be talking about sustainability in business and social entrepreneurship.
To learn more about sustainability and Civility Week, visit the program guide, https://www.brookdalecc.edu/civility-week/
To further explore these issues, visit the Libguide created by Theresa Agostinelli.