The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Tryouts Tuesday For Esports Call Of Duty Team

Brookdale’s recently established esports team is holding tryouts for the spring semester.

At 5 p.m. Tuesday, students can vy for a spot on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III team. Tryouts will held in-person only at the Esports Arena on the lower level of the Student Life Center.

This past fall was the team’s inaugural season in which they competed in Rocket League, Valorant, and the Nintendo classic, Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Two new teams will be added this spring, one for the popular Overwatch II and one for Activision’s Call of Duty; Modern Warfare III.

Paul Synn, one of the team’s star Super Smash Bros Ultimate players from the fall, recalled his experiences competing. “It was fun, getting to know everyone. It was also exciting because it was my first semester of college and it was the college’s first time doing esports,” said the 18-year-old undecided major from Hazlet.

“The teams who played this fall will stick together and continue to compete in the spring,” said Chris Boehmer, the director of esports at Brookdale.

“It was fun carpooling to events… I definitely want to hang out with the guys from the team more outside of the games as well,” Synn said.

When the topic of competition came up, Synn referenced one time when the team was losing and he rallied for a huge comeback victory.

Those interested in competing can fill out a tryout form at www.brookdalecc.edu/esports. The form must be completed as all students will be checked-in at the door.

The program is also still looking for shoutcasters, or commentators, for their events. In the group’s discord, Boehmer said “I would also like to continue to recruit shoutcasters!”

View Comments (1)