The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Budtender: ‘Use This Plant With Respect’

Budtender: Use This Plant With Respect

Marijuana legalization is still relatively new in New Jersey. Marijuana is a Schedule Ⅰ substance that offers health benefits. And like everything, there are pros and cons to it.

The AYR dispensary in Eatontown, opened up shortly after marijuana was legalized. Alec Maalouf works there as a budtender. He has been using marijuana for years and has worked at AYR for over a year. He says that marijuana has many benefits, as it helps with stress, anxiety and pain. It even has anti-inflammatory effects. They sell marijuana gummies that relieve inflammatory issues. They also sell gummies that are for sleep or a boost of happiness.
“I think it is a natural plant that was put here for us to use for our own benefits. So if you have, you know, chronic pain but you don’t want to do something like an opioid or pill, well, you have a plant here that was naturally put here on this earth to help out with that,” Maalouf said.
Regarding recreational use, if you are someone who can’t drink or doesn’t like the feeling of alcohol, then marijuana is an option. Like going to the liquor store, you still have to provide your driver’s license and be 21 years old or older to even enter the dispensary, as they check IDs at the door.
“I love it. It’s a magical experience. It’s ritualistic in a way,” said 21-year-old Cosimina Adragna. “It relieves the pains and the horrors of life.” Andrew Perfetto, 28, has been using marijuana since it became legalized. “It’s really good. I’m glad that it’s finally legal. It’s really nice, and it helps me relax.”
Of course, there are always cons to products like these. “I tell people all of the time, ‘use this plant with respect,’ because if you use too much of it then it is no different than someone who drinks alcohol 24/7.
Even though alcohol and marijuana are different, in a sense of effect-wise, overuse of cannabis is definitely not good.” Maalouf said. He warns that things like smoking and driving are definitely a no-no. Adragna also has an awareness of its cons and says, “It’s addictive.”
At Brookdale, there are students and staff who use it recreationally and medically off campus. At AYR they offer student and teacher discounts. Marijuana is not allowed on any of Brookdale’s campuses. That being said, AYR offers a 10 percent discount to students and teachers.