TIN Invites Students To Earth Day Celebration April 20

Isabel Shaw, Staff Writer

The Innovation Network (TIN) will be holding an Earth Day celebration on April 20 on the front lawn of Brookdale’s Bankier Library from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Jessica Lacalamito, 26, a photojournalism major and president of TIN, wanted to raise awareness about environmental challenges and concerns occurring around the world.  Lacalamito’s idea was to tie that awareness into the annual Earth Day celebration, traditionally held on April 22.

Of particular concern to Lacalamito is the issue of deforestation and the valuable role of trees in our environment.

“In one year, a mature tree will absorb more than 48 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release oxygen in exchange,” Lacalamito said. “It’s so important to raise public awareness about this valuable resource and help our planet before it’s too late.”

To support this initiative, TIN will have free tree and/or herb seedlings available for students to plant at home. There will be free literature on how to help the planet, lots of give-a-ways, free Frisbees, food, games, music and more.

The first Earth Day was held April 22, 1970. It has become an annual celebration that honors the achievements of the environmental movement and raises awareness of the need to protect Earth’s natural resources for future generations.

To appeal to college students, April 22 was chosen as the date for Earth Day because it fell squarely between spring break and final exams — an important distinction given that college students were the ones most likely to participate in environmental activism.

Democrats, Republicans, and people from all walks of life came together in 1970 to support Earth Day. Eventually, this activism resulted in the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, as well as the passing of significant environmental laws like the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and the Endangered Species Act, among others.

About 20 years after the initial Earth Day, the campaign began to spread internationally. The 1990 Earth Day demonstration included efforts from about 200 million people in 141 countries, according to the Earth Day Network.

Currently, it’s estimated that about a billion people participate in Earth Day in their own ways, big and small. That makes up about 15 percent of the world’s population. What’s more, this makes Earth Day the largest secular celebration in the world.

Stop by the TIN display outside the library on April 20 for your free seedling and help increase public awareness of environmental concerns and to celebrate and promote respect for the planet.

.