The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

WILL Helps Students Find Their Voice

WILL Helps Students Find Their Voice

“Personally, WILL has provided me with a sense of belonging,” said WILL external communicator Sophia Arena. “I used to come to campus, go to my classes, and immediately come home. Now, I am involved all over campus while finding new connections and bonding with other members and students.”
WILL: Women In Learning and Leadership is a Brookdale club that offers students a community to discover and use one’s own assertiveness, advocate for what they feel strongly about, and exemplify leadership in various opportunities both on and off campus.
“I have found my voice by becoming more vocalized in my communication as well as assertive. I realized I have a mind of my own and how to use it. I used to be timid, now I love voicing my opinion while also finding a community of empowering women and a safe place,” said Brianna Dudley, WILL’s vice president and a media studies major.
To celebrate March as Women’s History Month, WILL is working to set up guest speakers, planning workshops to educate students further in assertiveness, and will have displays around campus. Meetings are held 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. in LAH 108 with a Zoom option available.
“WILL was founded in 2015 as a part, and support, of WILL’S academic program. Our mission statement is to empower women students to become the future leaders of our local and global communities,” said Rosanne Alverez, Brookdale’s Issues in Women’s Gender Studies professor and the club adviser.
“No matter how exhausted I am, I always leave here with a sense of accomplishment,” Arena said.
To reach WILL, attend a meeting or email [email protected]. Use the email address for further instruction to access WILL’s Zoom.