The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

Examining The Giants' Draft Pick
Joseph Basile, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
WILL Brings Assemblywoman To Campus
Chloe Sullivan, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Test Prep Season Arrives
Marlys Wenzel, Staff Writer • April 27, 2024

College-Age Students At Risk Of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault Learn More April 15

Support The Bake Sale And Attend Info Program

Brookdale students are hosting an event on April 15 in collaboration with the Stephanie Nicole Parze Foundation, the leading domestic violence intervention foundation in New Jersey. The foundation aims “to provide education, intervention, and support to families and individuals dealing with domestic violence, sexual abuse and missing loved ones.”

During the noon to 3 p.m. event on Monday, April 15, students and foundation representatives will be at the upper level of the SLC patio to distribute brochures, discuss the issue and spread awareness. A bake sale will also be held with all proceeds going directly to the foundation.

From 1 to 1:30 p.m., Edward Parze, whose daughter died as a result of domestic violence, will speak about the dangers of domestic violence and programs available to help victims and spread awareness.

Stephanie Parze, was a 25-year-old former Brookdale student, when she went missing in October 2019. The Freehold resident was missing for 87 days before her body was found and family and friends learned she was murdered during a domestic violence attack. She is survived by her parents, Edward and Sharlene and her sisters; Brianna, Karissa and Hailey.

“We hope through this foundation to help as many victims as we can, so that they have a chance to live the life they deserve. We also look to make a difference to sexual abuse victims and by supporting the families of the missing.” (Parze Foundation, 2019)

On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. For one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Show support by visiting snpfoundation.org for their services and resources or call 732-462-5793.