The Student News Site of Brookdale Community College

The Current

The Current

The Current

At 19, She’s A World Champion

Coco Gauff, a 19-year-old professional tennis player, won her first Grand Slam on Saturday, Sept. 9, at the U.S. Open in Queens. This win is very significant for the young player for many reasons.Gauff started playing professionally when she was only 15 years old. She was born in Florida but started training in South France at a French academy at age 10. Gauff was trained by Serena Williams’ coach, which meant she was destined for greatness.Gauff played in the U.S. Open for the first time in 2019 where she made it to the third round after losing to former U.S. Open winner Naomi Osaka. At the time, Gauff was ranked 71 out of all the players in the world making it into the top 100 at only 15.At a young age, Gauff had already accomplished important goals, such as being able to play against her idol Venus Williams at Wimbledon, where she beat her in a match. During her triumph at the U.S. Open in 2019, Gauff also was the youngest player to reach the third round in the singles tournament since Anna Kournikova in 1996.In total, the young player has already won 14 titles in both singles and doubles including the most important one, the major at the U.S. Open. When Gauff made it to the final, she was the second youngest American to do so since Serena Williams in 1999. Gauff was ranked 6 versing Aryna Sabalenka, who was ranked 2, moving up to one in the final. After winning the tournament, Gauff’s ranking has been moved up to three. Gauff beat Sabalenka 2:6, 6:3 and 6:2.Gauff winning the U.S. Open was significant since she won on her home country’s soil, making that win even more special. The fans went wild in the crowd as Gauff won. The young player has been going to the U.S. Open since she was a little girl watching the professionals play not knowing her fate would bring her back to win it all.Not only does she excel in singles, Gauff is ranked three in the world for doubles. Gauff and her partner, Jessica Pegula, made it to the quarter finals in the U.S. Open this year. Out of her 14 titles, eight are doubles titles.

Coco Gauff is only 19 years old and has already accomplished so much.In this video you see young Gauff dancing in the stands at the U.S. Open, and then it shows her winning years later.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLyfFi2n6jw

View Comments (1)